LEGAL REQUIREMENTS: Under the Occupational Health & Safety Act, it states that employers are required to employ only “COMPETENT PERSONS AS SUPERVISORS”
NEW SAFETY LEGISLATION WILL INCLUDE MANDATORY TRAINING FOR SUPERVISOR AND BUSINESS OWNERS.
We will discuss what the Safety Act defines as:
- How to read the Ontario Occupational Health & Safety Act and the regulations for Construction Projects
- Definition of Competent Person: Section 1(1)
- General Duties of Employers, Supervisors & Employees: Section 25, 26, 27 & 28
- Duties and responsibilities of Constructors, Employers, Supervisors, and Workers.
- Understand offences and penalties for non-compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations.
- Review of Construction Regulations that affect the job site for high risk activities including: Filing Notices, Posted Materials, Workplace Violence and Harassment , Safe trenching and Excavation, Operating Moving Equipment in Reverse on Job Sites, Using Backhoes & other requirements.
Other discussions will include:
- Performing Risk Assessments and Job Planning
- Work Stoppage and Work Refusal Process and the role of the Supervisor
- Accident Reporting and Investigation Requirements
- Workplace Inspection Requirements