Under the Occupational Health & Safety Act, Skid-Steer operators are required to be deemed as competent to operate these kinds of lifting equipment. To meet the definition of competency, operators need to have training, knowledge, and experience. This course will see your operators meeting those requirements.
As a discussion-based training course, we will discuss how to conduct a proper pre-use inspection of the unit, what are the hazards associated with the operation of skid-steer’s including conducting risk assessments, and the safe operation of the equipment.
If the employer has the equipment on site at the time of the training, your trainer will conduct an “operator evaluation” and document their findings on the experience level of the operators.
- Due Diligence Requirements as defined under OHSA, section 25 for employers and section 26 for supervisors,
- Regulation 213 Construction Section 93 to 107
Course Content Points
- Understanding health and safety legislation that would apply to the use of this kind of lifting device, including duties of workplace parties
- The three basic rights of workers
- Looking for hazards that would include the people we work with, the materials we move, the equipment we are using and the environment we work in.
- A discussion is had that will see the participants talking about what can go wrong when using skid steers.
- Understanding the dynamics of the equipment and how to conduct a pre-use safety inspection.
- A review of how to use the equipment safely. Discussing what would the safety rules be for operators of skid steers.
When the course is completed, the employer will receive the following:
- A trackable Record Of Training that clearly defines what was taught & when, who attended and the name of the trainer.
- Copy of the record of attendance
- Info sheet that describes what elements were part of the training delivery.
- Electronic copy of certificates that can be emailed to participants as an electronic record of training
- If operator evaluations are conducted, the employer will receive copies of those evaluations as well.
- Each participant will receive a long life plastic “Record of Training Wallet Card” that shows all the details of the course event.